Embarking on solo adventures can be a bit intimidating, especially when it comes to dining alone. But fear not! We have gathered our top tips for dining solo when on your next trip:
- Connect with Foodies: Check out meetup.com or other social platforms to find like-minded food enthusiasts. Planning a meal with locals or fellow solo travellers can turn dining into a delightful social experience. Don a friendly smile, be approachable, and who knows, new friends might be made!
- Savour the Moment: Turn solo dining into an empowering and calming experience. Book a nice restaurant, order your favourite drink, and take your time, don’t feel like you need to rush just because you are alone. If you are worried look out for restaurants with bench style setups or head to a chain you are familiar with, nearly every city has a Hard Rock Café where you can sit at the bar and the staff are trained to talk to customers.
- Join a Cooking Class or Food Tour: Spice up the solo dining experience by signing up for a cooking class or by joining a food tour. It’s a fantastic way to be social while exploring local cuisine and stepping out of your comfort zone.
- Explore Food Markets: Dive into the communal atmosphere of local food markets. Finding a table or joining a table with someone at the other end can feel less daunting. To navigate these lively places without feeling overwhelmed, consider bringing a book or journal if you prefer some alone time. But if you’re open to conversation, ditch the head-down approach. Opt for a magazine at the bar, flipping through pages with a glass of wine and a bite to eat. Before you know it, locals will strike up conversations, and you’ll seamlessly join in the lively atmosphere. Cheers to making new friends in unexpected places!
- Street Food Adventures: If entering a restaurant solo feels a bit much, trying local street food is a great to explore and try local flavours while being on the move. If you fancy a night in and you’re staying in an apartment, hitting the local market, and whipping up a homemade meal is a great option.
- Start Small: If solo travel feels daunting, a good way to dip your toe into the water is by going to the cinema alone in your home country. Grab some popcorn, and enjoy own company. It’s a great way to build confidence.
So there you have it, our top tips to turn solo dining into a delightful adventure! Happy travels!